Gary and Mary West Senior Wellness Center
Providing comprehensive health and wellness services to culturally diverse, low-income seniors in San Diego.
In San Diego, California and around the country, there are seniors living on less than $5 a day. Many seniors who should be enjoying the golden years of life are forced to make hard choices that no one should have to make, with food, home and healthcare among many needs that must be addressed often on a fixed income.
West Health believes we can do better. That’s why we are making the Gary and Mary West Senior Wellness Center a community-based health and wellness model for coordinated care integrated with social services. It is designed to help hundreds of seniors everyday with their everyday needs as we study the impact of providing access to comprehensive, holistic services and supports.
• We’re gathering health, wellness and economic data, in collaboration with the University of California, San Diego, to demonstrate the positive outcomes of community-based care coordination can have on the lives of seniors and their families.
• This research is in collaboration with Serving Seniors, who runs the Gary and Mary West Senior Wellness Center, which since 2010 has provided two nutritious meals a day, 365 days a year to seniors in downtown San Diego.
• In addition to meals, the Senior Wellness Center offers access to more than 30 nonprofit organizations that provide case management, mental health services, legal and financial counsel, healthcare, housing assistance and an array of support services under a single roof. It’s truly a one-stop shop.
• Through an integrated community-based care model, the Gary and Mary West Senior Wellness Center provides access to high-quality and comprehensive clinical and social services.
• With the launch of the Gary and Mary West Senior Dental Center, collocated within the Senior Wellness Center, we are further studying how healthcare and social service improvements for lower income seniors can be made better, replicable and sharable around the country.
The services are seamless, the people are caring and the seniors are better able to live with independence and dignity.
Helping seniors in poverty live healthy and fulfilling lives. The new mission had to clearly demonstrate our core values and for us, it is all about changing and saving the lives of seniors struggling to meet their basic needs.See Serving Seniors