To provide seniors in San Diego County with greater and improved access to the COVID-19 vaccine, in early February 2021 the Gary and Mary West Foundation and West PACE in coordination with the County of San Diego, City of San Marcos, and local community-based organizations we stood up the county’s first senior-only vaccination clinic. Some of the unique features of the site included:
- Appointments coordinated by phone only and booked solely through 2-1-1 San Diego.
- Elimination of long lines.
- Arrangements for a senior to stay with their caregiver throughout their visit.
- Earlier hours of operation, providing more choice to family members and caregivers.
- On site care navigators to assist patients who arrive on their own.
- Limited movement from station-to-station within the site (once seated, patients may remain seated until the visit is concluded).
- Accommodations for mobility and cognitive impairments.
- Interpretation services through video remote or phone services.